In other words, we can be slaves to everything that controls us. A slave is a person that is being controlled by another person or thing.
To understand more about mental slavery let’s look where it first started.
The Term “Mental Slavery” was by a prominent pan-Africanist and black nationalist developed. His name is Marcus Mosiah Garvey, who was born in Jamaica.
In one of his poems he writes:
We are going to emancipate ourselves from mental slavery. Because whilst others might be free from the body, none but ourselves can free the mind. Mind is your only ruler, sovereign. The man who is not able to develop to use his mind is bound to be a slave of the other man who uses his mind.
Let that sink in for a moment...
Today, we are going to cover all about the slave mentality that could be blocking you to achieve success.
Thus, I’ve set up 10 ways to recognize this mindset, and how to break free from it.
I want you to know that;
You are destined for greatness.
Your potential was not given for you to deposit in the grave, but you have to find it and develop it.
Here are 10 ways to recognize the mental slavery mindset:
1. You have a “quick to obey, follow, conform, fit in” lifestyle.
2. You listen too much to negative opinions.
3. You have a lack of knowledge, reading or researching.
4. You go with the “Whatever is Convenient” option.
5. You have little to no self-love and no self-confidence whatsoever.
6. You are more negative than positive.
7. You don’t want to do the hard work, you expect others to do the hard work for you.
8. You are bound to your comfort zone.
9. You prefer others to think for you than doing the thinking on your own.
10. You work on other people’s wishes or purpose instead of your own.
Everything has a purpose...
Did you know that everything in life has a purpose? Everything. To illustrate let me give you an example.
Let’s look at a car. What is the purpose of a car? Exactly! It’s to drive. Now imagine buying a brand new car only to put it in your garage and leave it there. Is the car living up to its purpose? No!
It’s the same thing with us humans! We are all full of potential, but if we are bound to whatever our enslaved mindsets might be… then we are not living up to the purpose that we were established on earth for.
Next, let’s look at how we can break loose from our current slave mentality.
The truth is I can’t change your mindset.
In fact, Bob Marley said it best: “None but ourselves can free our mind.”
In other words, it’s about recognizing a pattern and then changing it.
True potential comes out the moment you decide to step into the unknown.
What is the unknown?
The unknown is the opposite of the comfort zone.
Do not become a slave to your comfort zone, just because it feels nice.
While this may feel nice, it doesn’t mean it’s okay or the best thing for you.
The path to mental freedom is achieved through conscious upgrading of the mind. Here are 5 keys to help you break free from your limitations:
1. Knowledge is power! Start with reading a self-development book per month. I would definitely recommend this one, click here.
2. Look for something new to learn each week.
3. If you have an idea, work on it. God wants you in business.
4. Don’t only take opinions from other people, do your own research.
We are going through a very difficult time in the world right now. it’s important to do your own research.
I want to share a very informative yet touching book about racism. you can check it out here.
5. You have a purpose to fulfill, don’t be afraid to pursue it! This is a year of execution. Time to start implementing.
Our minds are the biggest battlefields.
In other words, your mindset can determine if you grow or remain stuck in the exact position for the long term.
So decide for a change today. Break loose, and set yourself free from a slave mentality and grow in knowledge.
Remember, knowledge is power, if you choose to use it the right way!